Saturday, January 17, 2009

South Africa Welcomes Me

Well I've made it here. The travel wasn't so bad, except for the sick bug I probably caught on a plane. It didn't hit me till the morning after I got in, but I spent my first day here in bed or in the bathroom. Welcome to Africa! It wasn't so bad and I'm already feeling better. 

I can already feel the tension of this country's inequalities. I arrived in a nice airport, got into a nice rental car, drove down nice highways to my nicely gated house. What I primarily knew and read about South Africa before leaving was its high HIV/AIDS prevalence, unemployment and political scandals. I have yet to be introduced to the side of South Africa I feel ready and more comfortable to greet, the side I've been reading about. When you arrive in a country that boasts such development and poverty you cant help question what people are and are not doing to make this situation. And I cant help but question the inequality in my own society and what we do and don't do. 

Im sure I will be asked while I'm here, "why didn't you just stay in the states to help people?". Well this trip is about more than just helping disadvantaged people. Yes, it is very much about helping people, but its also about learning from a different environment in which most disadvantaged people are more disadvantaged than in the states. Its about learning from a traditional people about their needs and desires and how western people, if possible, can help undo some of the wrongs that have been done to the number of disadvantage traditional people surviving today. I am positive what I will discover will twirl my head around and I hope so. 

Love to you. I miss you Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment